Thanks for taking your time to read our UK written review of the very popular Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail. This bed rail is easy to transport, safe for children and folds down, which of course makes it easier for the children to get into bed.
This portable bed rail is suitable for is suitable for children from 18 months to 5 years (maximum weight 22 kg)
It also folds down quickly and neatly so as it is compact for storage when you have to travel. When folded it is 66 cm in length and it weighs 2.7 Kg, so will not take up much space and is not heavy to carry around.
This Safety 1st product poses no risk for children-while the frame is metal, the interior consists of netting and contours in fabric.
It is available in three colours; blue, pink and a dark grey.
Just below we have completed a full and detailed review. However if you are in a hurry, then you can see what other buyers have to say over at Amazon UK, by clicking here. For those who want to read the full review then please carry on reading.
Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail Main Review
The purpose of any bed rail is of course to stop your children from accidentally rolling out of bed. Therefore their safety is paramount and a bed rail is a very good way of doing just that.
If the bed is in the centre of a room, then of course you will need a bed rail on each side of the bed. In most cases though the bed is usually pushed against one wall, so only a single bed rail is required for the one open side.
In the home you can make this type of bed rail a more permanent solution as you are likely going to need it for a few years. However when you need to travel, then although you still need one, you can use a portable bed rail, as it is lighter and easier to move around.
This is where the Safety 1st portable bed rail comes into its own.
- Measures 101 cm x 42 cm
- This rail folds down to a neat 71 (l) x 7 (w) x 42 (h) cm making it easy to transport and store.
- The rail comes fully assembled so no difficult set-up. The assembled size is 101 (l) x 37 (w) x 42(h) cm
- The rail folds down which allows the children to get into bed without having to be lifted over it
- It is suitable for both standard and slatted beds - Bed should have a minimum length of 156 cm with mattress depth between 10 cm and 24 cm
- It weighs 2.7 Kg
- When the bed is folded for transport it is 66 cm in length
- The Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail is suitable from 18 months to 5 years (maximum 22 kg)
- Be aware that this bed rail needs a 25 mm lip to hold the guard in place - it is not suitable for a cot bed as the mattress is not heavy enough
- This rail is NOT suitable for adults
- Conforms to Standard BS7972
How Online Buyers Rate the Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail
We visit the many online websites that sell bed rails We collect any information that we can find on ratings that have been left by buyers. These are very useful as they are left by people like you and me, who have bought the product, used it, and then taken their time to leave a review.
We gather all of that data and then calculate an average score which we mark out of 100%. Over the years we have calculated a short table that tells you the quality of an item based on buyer reviews.
- >90% is an excellent rating
- 81-90% is a very good rating
- 71-80% is a good rating
- 61-70% is a satisfactory rating
- <60% we don't recommend as there are too many complaints
As you can see the Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail gets an average online buyer satisfaction rating of 94% which puts it into the excellent category.
What Online Buyers Say about the Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail
We know how buyers rate this product, but it is also very interesting to see what they have to actually say about the bed rail.
- 80% of all buyers gave this a full 5 star review
- 1% of all online buyers gave this a bad review
As you can see from this the number of complaints is very low at just 1%. However we like to complete our reviews pointing out both the bad and the good points. We have therefore completed a summarised pros and cons table just below.
What Buyers Didn't Like?
The 1% number is low which is always a good sign. Here are the things that those online buyers complained about:
- A few buyers believed they received an old product as the fabric was worn and the framework was yellow
- A couple of buyers said the frame is metal, and only covered by cloth and not padded
- Buyers didn't like that it fitted between the mattress and the bed base as they thought it wasn't stable
What Buyers Did Like?
The huge majority of buyers did give this portable bed rail an excellent review. Here's what they had to say:
- Buyers loved how easy this was to assemble and use. - They had bought other brands before which were very hard to set up
- Buyers liked the length of this
Our Verdict on the Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail
When it comes to buying any product we all want a good quality product that is good value for money. When it comes to our children we also want a product that is safe. A bed rail is no exception to this. Its sole purpose is to keep our children from rolling or falling out of bed.
As long as you understand the limitations of the rail you are buying, then you will always make the right purchase.
- The Safety 1st portable bed rail is suitable for standard beds and slatted beds
- It is suitable for children from 18 months to 5 years (maximum weight 22 kg)
- It fits between the base of the bed and the mattress, and relies on the weight of the mattress to keep it in place - the mattress depth needs to be between 10-26 cm for this bed rail to work properly
- It is not suitable for adults and not suitable for cot beds
- You can buy this in three colours, blue, pink and a dark grey
94% buyer satisfaction based on 22,000+ online buyer reviews
This is one of the biggest sellers online, and the vast majority of buyers rate this highly. As long as your standard bed has a mattress of the correct depth, then this rail works really well. Don't buy this for cot beds with a thin mattress and don't buy this to use with adults. It is not designed to hold their weight.
If you need a good quality bed rail for travel, then this Safety 1st portable bed rail is a very good choice.