Hardcastle Roof Bars UK Reviews
Thanks for taking your time to read our reviews of roof bars from the Hardcastle brand. These are generally classed as roof bars that get good online buyer reviews.
They offer the following models of roof bar:
- Hardcastle Aluminium Lockable Anti Theft Aero Dynamic Car Roof Bars
- Hardcastle 60cm Universal Soft Car Roof Bars
- Hardcastle 80cm Universal Soft Car Roof Bars
- Hardcastle Black Lockable Anti Theft Car Roof Bars
We have done short summary reviews of each of these just below.
Hardcastle Aluminium Lockable Anti Theft Aero Dynamic Car Roof Bars Review
- This model is also available in 3 lengths - 120 cm, 130 cm and 135 cm
- This is suitable for cars that already have raised side rails fitted
- Comes with 2 keys for the lock
- Made from tough aluminium
- Has much less drag than conventional steel roof bars so less noise and more miles to the gallon
- This is not suitable for vehicles with solid raised rails
92% buyer satisfaction based on 1,000+ online buyer reviews
Hardcastle 60cm Universal Soft Car Roof Bars Review
- This model is suitable for 4 door cars without roof rails
- Ideal for suitcases, canoes, ladders etc
- A good option when permanent roof bars are not required
- Quick and easy to fit & remove and not tools are required
- You thread the shorter strap through the car and secure tightly through the buckle
- 65 Kg is the maximum load
- 25 mm wide straps - Pad length: 60 cm - Pad width: 12 cm - Pad height: 8 cm
84% buyer satisfaction based on 120+ online buyer reviews
Hardcastle 80cm Universal Soft Car Roof Bars Review
- Suitable for 4 door cars without roof rails
- Can hold suitcases, kayaks, ladders etc
- A good choice when permanent roof bars are not required
- Quick & easy to fit & remove - No tools required
- Simply thread shorter strap through the car & secure tightly through buckle
- 65kg max load
- 25 mm wide straps - Pad length: 80 cm - Pad width: 12 cm - Pad height: 8 cm
86% buyer satisfaction based on 100+ online buyer reviews
Roof Bar Buying Guide
If you plan on fitting a roof box or a roof mounted cycle carrier, then you will need to have roof bars.
Roof bars attach to the roof of your vehicle. Manufacturers will use different connecting systems to attach these bars to your vehicle. Fitted roof bars free up more room in your car, and allow you to easily transport bulky items.
Understanding Roof Bar Types
There are three popular types and they are called:
- Square - these are the most popular - made from steel with a black coating.
- Aero - made from aluminium - more aerodynamic and will save on petrol costs. They use a T-track system across the bar
- Thule - Wing Bars are made from aluminium,have a full length T-track system, and are the most silent and aerodynamic roof bars available
Most roof bars are a universal fit, though it is always worth checking your vehicle to be certain. Cars do of course come in many makes and models, and as such the roofs of cars will also come in all shapes and sizes.
If your car has open rails (factory-fitted roof rails which come out of the roof), you most likely only need the bars and a foot pack. (no fitting kit will be required)
It is worth understanding that roof bars are sold in 3 parts
- The actual roof bars
- Foot packs that attach to the bars
- Fitting kits - these connect the feet to the roof
They are not hard to fit, but if you don't fancy it then you can get that job done at somewhere like Halfords. Many garages will also fit these for you.
Solving Roof Bar Noise
If you have ever been in a car with roof bars fitted then you may have experienced the whistling noise. This is caused by the wind blowing through the gaps between the roof bar and the roof.
It doesn't bother some people, but it can drive others to complete distraction.
One way to solve the noise problem is to opt for bars made from aluminium and shaped to cut through the air. The Aero style bars are more aerodynamic than steel square bars. These roof bars just don't make as much noise.