Maypole Roof Bars UK Reviews
Thanks for taking your time to read our reviews of roof bars from the Maypole brand. These are generally classed as affordable roof bars and overall have a good reputation.
They offer the following models of roof bar:
- Maypole RB1040 Eagle Universal Aluminium Roof Bars 1.2M For Raised Roof Rails
- M-Way RB1045 Eagle Xl Universal Aluminium Roof Bars
- Maypole RB1000 1.3m Universal Lockable Roof Bars
- Maypole RB1035 Roof Bars
- Maypole RB1050 Roof Mounted Cycle Carrier
We have done short summary reviews of each of these just below.
Maypole RB1040 Eagle Universal Aluminium Roof Bars 1.2M For Raised Roof Rails Review
- These are made from anodized non-slip aluminium bars
- The length is 120 cm
- These are suitable for raised roof rails
- Also suitable for use with a T Track roof rail system
- Come with 4 x 13 x 13 mm Head Square Screws
- TUV and GS safety approved loads 75kg and 90kg
- Lockable to prevent theft
- Measure 120.4 x 15.4 x 8 cm
- Weigh 3.6 Kg
84% buyer satisfaction based on 1,000+ online buyer reviews
Maypole RB1000 1.3m Universal Lockable Roof Bars
- The length is 130 cm (1.3 metres)
- These are rustproof and lockable (you get 2 sets of keys)
- They will fit most vehicles with factory fitted roof rails.
- They can carry up to 50Kg
- These are easy enough to fit and sturdy once in place
- They weigh around 4 KG and measure 138 x 20 x 40 cm
- They clamp around and under the rail so they need to have a gap
82% buyer satisfaction based on 50+ online buyer reviews
M-Way RB1045 Eagle Xl Universal Aluminium Roof Bars
- Suitable for raised roof rails
- They are 1.35 metres long
- They have a great profile and aerodynamic shape that reduces noise
- These bars come with four 20 x 20mm T-bolts which slide into the T-track slot on the top of the roof bar.
- It is also lockable to prevent theft
88% buyer satisfaction based on 50+ online buyer reviews
Maypole RB1035 Roof Bars Review
- These roof bars are suitable for low profile, integrated roof rails
- Length 1.35 metres
- Profiled and aerodynamic shape reduces noise
- Measure 13 x 135 x 10 cm
- Suitable for use with a T Track roof rail system
- Supplied with 20 x 20 mm Head Square Screws
- TUV / GS safety approved load of 90 Kg
70% buyer satisfaction based on 50+ online buyer reviews
Roof Bar Buying Guide
If you plan on fitting a roof box or a roof mounted cycle carrier, then you will need to have roof bars.
Roof bars attach to the roof of your vehicle. Manufacturers will use different connecting systems to attach these bars to your vehicle. Fitted roof bars free up more room in your car, and allow you to easily transport bulky items.
Understanding Roof Bar Types
There are three popular types and they are called:
- Square - these are the most popular - made from steel with a black coating.
- Aero - made from aluminium - more aerodynamic and will save on petrol costs. They use a T-track system across the bar
- Thule - Wing Bars are made from aluminium,have a full length T-track system, and are the most silent and aerodynamic roof bars available
Most roof bars are a universal fit, though it is always worth checking your vehicle to be certain. Cars do of course come in many makes and models, and as such the roofs of cars will also come in all shapes and sizes.
If your car has open rails (factory-fitted roof rails which come out of the roof), you most likely only need the bars and a foot pack. (no fitting kit will be required)
It is worth understanding that roof bars are sold in 3 parts
- The actual roof bars
- Foot packs that attach to the bars
- Fitting kits - these connect the feet to the roof
They are not hard to fit, but if you don't fancy it then you can get that job done at somewhere like Halfords. Many garages will also fit these for you.
Solving Roof Bar Noise
If you have ever been in a car with roof bars fitted then you may have experienced the whistling noise. This is caused by the wind blowing through the gaps between the roof bar and the roof.
It doesn't bother some people, but it can drive others to complete distraction.
One way to solve the noise problem is to opt for bars made from aluminium and shaped to cut through the air. The Aero style bars are more aerodynamic than steel square bars. These roof bars just don't make as much noise.